Elliott Family History, Ancestral Trees, Biographies, Photographs and Records.
Frederick Victor Elliott (1894 - 1927)
January 1894 in Limehouse
William G Elliott
Catherine W Beetham
Elizabeth Hollis in 1915
Catherine Wilhelmina b. 1876
William George b. 1877
Amy Maud Mary b. 1880
Georgina Louisa b. 1882
Charles Henry b. 1884
Robina Oslar b. 1886
Jane Bruce b. 1888
Arthur James b. 1891
Elizabeth F b. 1916
Frederick V b. 1917
Joseph W b. 1919
13 June 1927

Frederick Victor Elliott>>

Frederick Victor, the youngest son of William George Elliott, a ships caulker, and Catherine Wilhelmina Beetham, was born in January 1894. Frederick Victor was baptised in the local church, St Peter Mission in Garford St. on 25 January 1894. The Elliott family were at this time living at 20 Hanbury Place, Poplar which was located at the end of Poplar High Street, in a turning off King Street, adjacent to Pennyfields. King Street was part of Chinatown, and has now been renamed Ming Street to reflect the presence of the local Chinese population. The actual buildings in Hanbury Place, described as 'artisan's dwellings', have long ago been demolished,but can be seen here, looking from the direction of Poplar High Street (Photo of Hanbury Buildings). The census returns for the period shows that there were ten members of the family living in three rooms. According to his brother Arthur James, the family was not that well-off, and the children often went around barefoot. In 1905 the family moved from Hanbury Buildings to a house in Augusta Street, Poplar a distance of half a mile. Although they shared the house with another family, this represented a step up the housing ladder compared to Hanbury Buildings.

Frederick Victor Elliott (1894-1927) Partial Tree

He was married during the early part of World War One. On 6 June 1915 Frederick Victor, aged twenty-one married Elizabeth Florence Hollis at St. Saviour's Church, Poplar. At this time he was working as a sawyer (i.e. a timber cutter), employed at the Venesta Wood Ltd saw-mill on the corner of Suffolk Street and Upper North Street. His mother, Catherine Wilhelmina signed the register as one of the witnesses.

It is not known if he joined-up during the war, or if he was in a reserved occupation. I should imagine that at some stage he must have joined the forces, but at present this is unknown. By 1927 they had moved to Sussex Street, the next street to Suffolk Street, and had three children, aged eight, ten and eleven.

At the time of the accident Frederick and his brother Arthur James were both working for J Mowlem and Sons on the construction of the foundations of the Department of Trade and Industry building in Westminster. Four weeks prior to the accident in June 1927 at the christening of Arthur's son John James, Arthur James' occupation is given as 'Trench Hand', i.e. somebody employed digging the foundations of a building. Frederick Victor was working on the piling rig at the time of the accident. My grandmother, Dorothy Caroline Dore, told me that 'Tim' was killed falling from a building, although Arthur James never mentioned that he fell, just that he was killed working on a construction site in Westminster.

The Coroner's office in Westminster was destroyed by fire during the second world war, and the report on the inquest did not survive. The only recordings of the accident are those contained in contemporary newspaper articles. The East London Advertiser has a very brief article that contains notification of the accident, but few details. However, the Westminster and Pimlico News editions of 17 June 1927 and 24 June 1927 contain considerable details as to the events leading up to his death obtained from witnesses appearing during the Coroner's inquest. The first hearing at Westminster's Coroners Court on the day following the accident (Tuesday) established the identity and then adjourned until the Friday in order to summon a jury.

The detailed account of the accident is contained in the Westminster and Pimlico News reports, in which the Coroner's conclusion was that the vibration from the piling rig had caused the steel hammer to topple over, and that no blame was attached to anyone, i.e. it was a pure accident. Safety on construction sites has significantly advanced and this type of accident rarely occurs today, although if it were to happen now, then the outcome of the Coroner's inquest would surely have been different.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict
Valid css